Latest News

6 Top Women Designers on the Worst Piece of Career Advice They've Ever Gotten


D

espite huge advances for women in business, equality in the workplace can still, at times, seem like a distant dream. Women earn around 78 cents to a man’s dollar at work (yep, still), women hold just 5 percent of the top CEO jobs in this country, and mandatory paid family leave most of the time feels more like cannon fodder for political debate rather than something that's realistically going to happen.




Fashion has historically been an industry not only created for women but also one that's put plenty of cracks in that pesky glass ceiling. Visionaries like Coco Chanel—and later Diane von Furstenberg and Donna Karan—famously broke barriers just by virtue of being women running their own empires, and they continue to set the standard for what's possible.

With that in mind, we asked six leading women designers—who, let the record show, also started and run their own businesses—to share the worst piece of career advice they've received and how it helped them grow, how they think the industry can better serve women, and more. No matter what industry you're in, read on for some highly insightful words from strong, successful women.





PHOTO: COURTESY OF MARISSA WEBB
Marissa Webb
How I Lean In: “My grandfather always pushed me to work hard and to embrace getting my hands dirty. He taught me the value of humility and integrity. Don't expect anyone else to do it for you and if you're not willing to do it, don't expect anyone else to either.
"In my intimate company, we all pull together and do whatever needs to get done. I'm a master at fixing toilets. If you're not willing to pick up a plunger, this is not the place for you.
"That willingness to work extra hard to reach our goals has helped cement a strong foundation, positive work environment and a ‘will not fail’ attitude that's so important. I'm proud of the loyalty and friendship that we have which pushes us to go above and beyond expectations.”
Worst Advice I’ve Ever Received: “I was once told to focus on being graceful and elegant. It came off so outdated and pretentious that I didn't know how to react. It was basically telling me that your outer appearance and the opinions of others was most important.
"Trust me, at the end of the day, the judgment of others doesn't amount to much. I always say that if you can look at yourself square in the mirror and know you're genuine, honest, and doing the best you can, that's what matters most. Focusing on what others think you should be only makes you insecure and clumsy. It also holds you back from doing your best work.”
My Advice to the Fashion Industry on Supporting Women: “I think it begins with us women being more supportive of each other. It's the place to start.”

PHOTO: COURTESY OF MILLY
Michelle Smith of Milly
How I Lean In: “I cofounded Milly at the age of 27. As an entrepreneur who started from scratch and skipped over many traditional career levels, I’ve had to learn many lessons on my own, in real time. The livelihoods of my employees and their families are riding on my ability to make good business decisions and to create a successful product. That thought could be daunting and freeze many people up from taking risks that could prove to be beneficial, but I’ve realized the power of passion. If you are truly passionate about what you do, you are bound to be successful. True passion fuels the drive to blow past obstacles and make things happen…. When your colleagues and employees sense your passion and love of what you are doing, it is contagious. My dad always told me if I love what I do, I’ll never ‘work’ a day in my life, and it’s true. If you are not loving your career, make a change. Follow your passion. We are meant to be happy.”
Worst Advice I’ve Ever Received: “The fashion industry moves incredibly fast, especially with the advent of social media. Trends no longer last a decade, they last a few months. I know I have to continually evolve creatively, and never rest on my laurels and ‘best-sellers.’ That being said, I have been pressured to do this—repeat best-sellers at the request of an important account, for a large order, even when I feel like it was the wrong choice. When I have caved in, It has often been unsuccessful. And yes, I was going against my passion and my gut! I should know better.”
My Advice to the Fashion Industry On Supporting Women: “The women’s fashion industry as a whole used to favor male designers over female designers with the big press features and big contracts. I think this has improved a lot over the past few years, and I’m looking forward to seeing the positive shift continue”

PHOTO: DIEGO UCHITEL
Lela Rose
How I Lean In: “My father was one of the most focused people when he had the conviction that he was right (which was quite often). He believed that if you really wanted to go for something, then you needed an abundance of passion and persistence to achieve it. I think that sometimes girls and women are not taught to be as persistent as men, to take what is offered instead. My father modeled that drive and passion for me, and it has served me well.”
Worst Advice I’ve Ever Received: “I was once told that I would need to work part time, at most, when having children, so that I should choose a path that allowed me to do so. I have always worked full time. I started my business before having kids. My children are now ages 15 and 10, and I have never regretted the decision to not ‘lean out.’
My Advice to the Fashion Industry on Supporting Women: “Although the industry is made up of mostly women, the same patriarchal hierarchy remains. There are many more male CEOs running fashion businesses than women. The press disproportionately covers male designers over female designers. I think women have a unique understanding of what her female customer wants and I wish the industry would support more reality over fantasy.”

PHOTO: COURTESY OF ZERO + MARIA CORNEJO
Maria Cornejo of Zero + Maria Cornejo
How I Lean In: "Always stay true to yourself and you’re only as strong as the team surrounding you. I constantly use this [advice]...[My company is] completely independent and we maintain our integrity not only in our designs, but in the way we handle the business. Learning to delegate and trust the team we built is imperative to our success and growth."
Worst Advice I've Ever Received: "To say yes to everything. I’ve found that it’s better to be discerning in your choices and do things because they are right, not because they are on the table. Sometimes timing is everything and you need to learn when to say no."
My Advice To the Fashion Industry On Supporting Women: "As women, we need to do a better job of supporting and lifting up other women in the business. We’re an industry that is predominately made up of females and we shouldn’t be scared to put our necks out and support one another."

PHOTO: COURTESY OF EDIE PARKER
Brett Heyman of Edie Parker
How I Lean In: “I don't know if this is very Sandbergian in the traditional sense, but I always say be nice to everyone. Mostly because we should be kind to one another, but also because you never know where someone will end up eventually…Another piece of good advice -- go with your gut. It seldom fails you.”
My Advice to the Fashion Industry on Supporting Women: “Let’s continue to encourage support of one another, support women on the business side, as well as the design side. Be nice to each other!”
Rosetta Getty
PHOTO: CHUCK GRANT
Rosetta Getty
How I Lean In: “I follow my instincts and don’t compromise on what is most important. I make sure to honor my vision and recognize priorities. [For instance] fabrics have been one of the most major parts of my brand. I am always searching for the most beautiful and interesting tactile fabrics. It's an area of my business I know I can't compromise on."
Worst Advice I’ve Ever Received: “[We’ve all heard] ‘Don’t take no for an answer.’ One must always persevere, but sometimes listening to a 'no' will save time, resources, and frustration. I pick my battles carefully."



My Advice to the Fashion Industry on Supporting Women: “The fashion business is an industry that is largely female led, which is encouraging. However, we still see the same challenges for women that exist in every industry, like disparate pay. Hopefully these problems will continue to improve. Within my company, it has been very important to do everything possible to promote equality for women.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Beauty and Fashion Designed by Templateism.com Copyright © 2014

Theme images by Bim. Powered by Blogger.